THE 53RD ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF
BEAUMARIS CONSERVATION SOCIETY INC. HELD AT ST. MICHAEL‘S CHURCH HALL,
1. PRESENT – Mr Edward Pearce (Chair) and Mrs Diana Pearce, Cr Ken Beadle, Cr Derek Wilson, Mr Geoffrey and Mrs Margaret Goode, Mrs Josie Cerbasi, Mr Murray and Mrs Ingrid Ashford, Mr Ron Morris, Mr Peter Russell, Ms Robyn Browne, Mr Ron Hayton, Ms Moira Longden, Mrs Lynda Judkins, Mr George Schaetzel, Mrs Val Currey, Ms Claire Timlock, Mr Ralph and Mrs P Salisbury, Ms J Palmer, Mrs Susan Raverty, Mr Rodney Smith, Mr Rodney Nash, Mr John Knight (Total 26)
2. OBSERVERS – Mr Peter and Mrs Caroline
3. APOLOGIES – Mr Adrian Cerbasi, Mr Laurence Bottomley, Mr Keith Holmes, Ms Kathleen Kiernan, Mr David Judkins, Mrs Anne Gibson, Mr Bill Gleadell, Mr Reg and Mrs Lorna Leslie, Mr Christopher Sutton.
4. PRESIDENT’S REPORT – In the absence of the President, the Chair read his prepared report, which highlighted the activities of BCS Inc. over the past 12 months drawing attention to main issues encompassed including mounting objections to locations to a proposed skateboard facility, Beaumaris Hotel development, the attempted Ricketts Point Landside incursion for car parking, and a number of residential developments deemed inappropriate.
The President expressed appreciation to members of the Committee for support and assistance through the year. It was resolved that the President’s report be accepted. Carried. Moved G Schaetzel, Seconded K Beadle.
5. TREASURER’S REPORT – A
Receipts and Expenditure from
6. ELECTION OF OFFICERS – Mr Peter Russell (Returning Officer) advised that the following positions were filled unopposed:
Senior Vice President
Junior Vice President
Zone 1 Leader
Zone 2 Leader
Mr Adrian Cerbasi
Mrs Fiona Austin
Mr Edward Pearce
Mr Ron Morris
Mr Geoffrey Goode
Mr Keith Holmes
Ms Kathleen Kiernan
Zone 3 Leader
Zone 4 Leader
Zone 5 Leader
Zone 6 Leader
Zone 7 Leader
Zone 8 Leader
Mr Ian Wong
Mr Kenneth Rendell
Mrs Ingrid Ashford
Mrs Josie Cerbasi
Mr Rodney Nash
Mrs Patricia Glazier
A vote of thanks was extended to
Returning Officer for his valued assistance. Moved
7. GENERAL BUSINESS – Cr Ken Beadle informed the meeting of his imminent retirement from Bayside Council after two terms and provided comment on current issues including the proposed skateboard romp (further site evaluation to occur), Ricketts Point Landside incursion (will not proceed due to opposition by State Government although installation of right turn facility and pedestrian crossing will occur), Footpath Trading Policy ( BCS Inc. comments taken into consideration in final draft), shared Bicycle Road (Beaumaris section will require a balance between the needs of public space and the community at large).
Geoffrey Goode as BCS lnc. representative gave a summary of Port
Phillip Conservation Council Inc. activities for the
particular attention to opposition to the incursion
into Ricketts Point
landside, the proposed extension to the shared
Cr Derek Wilson reported on two development applications, which indicated attempts to circumvent the Planning Scheme. Both were refused a permit by Council and went to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal on appeal. Both appeals were lost. VCAT outcomes should serve as a salutary lesson to developers.
8. GUEST SPEAKER – Ms Amy Weir, Environment Officer, Bayside City Council, gave a very interesting illustrated resume of the responsibilities and activities of her current position Including among other things, research into Rakali presence on the foreshore, rejuvenation of artificial lakes throughout Bayside, Foreshore and other Reserve master plan development and environmental education talks to school groups. Ms Weir felt that she was assisted in carrying out her duties by her local knowledge and appreciation of the Bayside environment through lifelong residency. The Chair warmly thanked Ms Weir on behalf of the meeting.
9. CLOSE – The meeting was declared closed at with refreshments following.
Ron Morris, Secretary
Confirming Chairman ……………………………………… Date ………………. 2006