moorabbin_bp

Home / Archive / moorabbin_bp


 

Beaumaris Foreshore Reserve (Part of Moorabbin Beach Park)


Click on the menu of Main Pages here, on a blue hyperlink below, or on the picture to ENLARGE it.

 

 

 

*

The Beaumaris Foreshore Reserve is part of what was originally called Moorabbin Beach Park (because it was in what was then the Shire of Moorabbin) when the Victorian Government permanently reserved it from sale by its Orders-in-Council below, made under various Land Acts, most recently the Land Act 1901 (1 Edw. VII No. 1749).
 

*

The last of those Orders-in-Council below were proclaimed in the Victoria Government Gazettes of 5 September 1906 on Page 3764 and 17 October 1906 on Page 4305 to become Moorabbin Beach Park‘s most recent extension.


That history is recited at Item 1 of Schedule 1 of Victoria’s Land (Miscellaneous Matters) and National Tennis Centre (Amendment) Act 1994, which deplorably excised from the Beaumaris Foreshore Reserve 2,000 square metres of land for a Crown lease to Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron Ltd.


* Date of
Order-in-Council

Date of
Gazette
entry
Page No.
Details

1888-07-30
1888-08-03 2480
Notice of intention to permanently reserve 24.5 hectares
of foreshore from South Road, Brighton, to Hampton Street,
Hampton, as specified


1888-09-03 1888-09-07 2783 Notice of permanent reservation of the 24.5 hectares
of foreshore from South Road, Brighton, to Hampton Street,
Hampton, as described above

1891-02-24 1891-02-27 1054
Notice of intention to permanently reserve 80 hectares
of foreshore from Hampton Street, Hampton, to the
Mordialloc Creek, as specified

1891-03-24 1891-03-26 1388
Notice of the permanent reservation of the 80 hectares
of foreshore from Hampton Street, Hampton, to the
Mordialloc Creek, as described above

1906-08-28 1906-09-05 3764 Notice of intention to permanently reserve all the land
between the high and low water marks abutting all of
the above reserved foreshore land

1906-10-09 1906-10-17 4305
Notice of the permanent reservation of all the land
between the high and low water marks abutting
all of the above reserved foreshore land


The present Permanent Public Recreation Reserve created by the above three Orders-in-Council should come under the current Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1972, which continues in force earlier permanently reserved Crown lands.


*

The most recent official statements on the Reserve appear in Recommendation E4 of the Final Report of the Victorian Environment Assessment Council’s 2011 study of Crown Land in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area. That recommendation is that the Victorian Government should create a 3-hectare nature reserve for all of the foreshore reserve between Charman Road and Hutchison Avenue.

* The Beaumaris Foreshore Reserve land pictured below had a concrete bicycle road extension built on it in 2013 by removing a 3.5 metre-wide swathe of coastal bushland to do so.


Beach Park: Cromer Rd to Charman Rd

 

 

Link to the Port Phillip Conservation Council Inc. – BCS Inc. has been a Member Organization of it since 1970