Home / resident


past residents of Beaumaris

for houses known to have been demolished are shaded
in purple.


Click on
a blue hyperlink of interest.



Arthur Boyd,
the distinguished Australian painter, lived in Surf Avenue
(possibly at No. 26) from May 1955 until at least
the late 1950s.


Ivor Evans,
as a young man, was a co-designer of
the Australian Flag
. He lived at
‘White Sails’
, 480 Beach Road,
(the house bounded by a
red line in the aerial photograph shown here) between Banksia Street
and Cromer

Road, during the


Mr John Iggulden, a
novelist and Life Member of the Gliding
Federation of Australia
, was an
industrialist, Australian National Gliding Champion
in 1959, founding
President of Port Phillip Conservation Council
and lived at 50 Wells Road
in the 1960s and 1970s.


Mr William Iggulden
brother of John Iggulden,
was an industrial
and the longest-serving President of the
Gliding Federation of Australia 1951-70
who lived at 2 Balcombe Park Lane,
until his death in 1970.


Marshall Sir George Jones

Chief of the
Royal Australian Air Force, 1942-52

and lived at 104 Cromer Road,
just north of Armstrong Street,
after retiring.

*Councillor Matthew Lang,
Mayor of Melbourne 1889-92, a Member of the
Legislative Council, and President of the Royal
Caledonian Society, built the mansion known as The Point in 1890, on
the site of what is now 405 Beach Road, Beaumaris.
Its last occupier was Major

Harry Shaw, and it was demolished in 1959.


Hon. Richard McGarvie AC
QC, Victorian Supreme Court
Judge 1976-92
, lived on the west side
of Coreen Avenue.
He was Governor of
Victoria 1992-7


Mr Bruce Ruxton AM
President of the Victorian Branch of the Returned
and Services League of Australia 1979-2002, lived in



Mr Arthur Schutt MBE,
a pioneer of the light aircraft operating industry
at Moorabbin
lived on the north-west corner of Deauville Street
and Powys

Drive, after World
War II.


Rupert Stawell, a leading
surgeon, after whom
nearby Stawell

Street is believed to
have been named, lived at “Coronet Hill”, 10
Coronet Grove, during the late 19th Century.
[That house is still intact, was on

Trust File No. B5551 when the
Trust was registering houses of significance in
Beaumaris, and later became the home of the
President of the Beaumaris Tree Preservation
Society, Mrs Bea Hosking


Lawrence Wackett DFC AFC,
commemorated by Wackett Street in his birthplace,
Pallarenda, Queensland, and the first Duntroon
graduate to join the Australian Flying Corps in
World War I, made daring low level reconnaissance
flights as far as 10 km behind Germany’s front line
for aerial photographs, and pioneered
precision aerial drops of ammunition

to Allied ground troops.

retired from the RAAF as a Wing Commander in 1933.
He then became a leading aircraft designer, and
chief of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation,
where his work led to his being knighted in 1954. He
later became the second Commodore
of the Beaumaris Motor
Yacht Squadron
. He lived at Aanderzee‘,
31 Tramway Parade, Beaumaris, at its junction with
Sparks and Rennison
Streets, from the 1930s to 1970.

Each of
the two driveway gates still displays his crest of
three clenched boomerangs with the motto “VICTORIA
NON SINE ADVERSITE”, which means “Victory is not without


Link to the Port Phillip Conservation Council Inc.,
of which BCS Inc. has been a Member Organization since