The 126-year saga of the Beaumaris Hotel, at 472 Beach Road, Beaumaris (western corner of Bodley Street)
Hotel Beaumaris c. 1910 with original Mansard roof, from State Library of Victoria
Click on photo to ENLARGE it, or on other blue hyperlinks of interest.
The Hotel, with original Mansard roof, which survived past the Edwardian era
|VCAT-approved demolition, despite the ‘Heritage Overlay HO66‘:2014-09-11||The completed apartment structure that replaced the Beaumaris Hotel, as seen in August 2016. BCS Inc. accepts that at least a ‘reasonable visual result‘ has been produced.|
The ruin of the former Beaumaris Hotel above is all that will remain of what was one of Beaumaris’s oldest surviving buildings, and was, until the completion of its replacement by apartments – with 120 underground car parking spaces – the biggest building ever built in Beaumaris. See BCS Inc.’s 2012 letterof objection to the form of the proposed redevelopment, and itssupport at the VCAT in 2013 for Bayside Council’s refusal of a permit.
|Click here for a 3-minute video showing an aerial view of the demolition, approved by the VCAT, of all – except the facade – of the Beaumaris Hotel 1888 – 2014, and the profligate digging up, removal from Beaumaris, and ultimate dispersal, of a vast quantity of original Beaumaris geological material.|