MINUTES OF THE 38TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE BEAUMARIS CONSERVATION SOCIETY
HELD AT BEAUMARIS COMMUNITY CENTRE AT 8 P.M. ON TUESDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER 1990
Present: G. (Geoffrey) Goode, M. (Margaret) Goode, D. (Diana) Speirs, K. (Kenneth) Rendell, June Stewart,
R. (Robert) Casamento, Jason Stewart, A. Mason, Bob Whiteway, Janet Abblitt, P. Prendergast, S. (Stephen) Morey, B. (Bea) Hosking, Anita Heughan.
1. Apologies: Michael Briggs (SCC), John Moller (SCC), L. (Laurence) Bottomley (SCC), Lisa Milley (SCC), Hon. R. (Robert) Lawson MLC,
Hon. G. (Geoffrey) P. Connard MLC, David Lea MLA, P. (Peter) Russell, R. (Roy) Hardcastle, Sheila Ridland.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the 37th Annual General Meeting confirmed – K. Rendell D. Speirs – Carried.
3. President’s Report: Copies of the Report were circulated and G. Goode summarized the main items.
During discussion the following points were made:
Street Planting. Rob Casamento – Local trees will last better, particularly during summer.
June Stewart – As a resident of Dalgetty Road, she was asked to report on recent plantings. Steve Morey – SCC Parks
Superintendent considers local plants unsuitable for streets.
Bob Whiteway – considers BCS should suggest tree types and request S.C.C. to justify objection.
Garden Rubbish. Rob Casamento – is concerned about dumping garden waste in Reserves, with the corresponding wed invasion. Residents
encouraged to participate in Reserve maintenance, and advised on damage caused by wed invasion.
Beach Road Traffic. Anita Heughan – wondered if more pedestrian island crossings were proposed.
G. Goode explained advice from David Lea, MLA, that traffic changes be treated cautiously, planned to become a scenic
Boulevard.If traffic can be made to move more efficiently along Nepean Highway, less vehicles may use Beach Road.
President’s Report Accepted: G. Goode B. Hosking Carried.
5. Office Bearers:
President: G. Goode Nominated by B. Hosking – Elected.
Vice President: D. Speirs ” ” M. Goode ”
Secretary: K. Rendell ” ” D. Speirs ”
Treasurer: M. Goode ” ” A. Heughan ”
The following members volunteered to join the Committee: Jason Stewart, Anita Heughan, Rob Casamento.
6. Guest Speaker: Geoff Carr, Consulting Ecologist, did not arrive. His number was phoned and a message left on his recording machine.
7. General Business:
(1) Bob Whiteway – brought our attention to the invading creeper Morning Glory along Beach Park between Dalgetty and Reserve Roads. BCS to request assistance from SCC to control this invasion.
(2) K. Rendell – As SCC are proposing to appoint an Environmental Engineer BCS should monitor progress and obtain job specification.
(3) Steve Morey, D. Speirs – concerned about ‘Dual occupancy’ which in some instances is not meeting objectives, an inflexible way of increasing density of housing.
(4) Anita Heughan – Concerned about loss of Beaumaris Flora character by erection of “Englishman’s Residence” complete with English garden.
Meeting closed 9:35 p.m. Supper followed.