MINUTES OF THE 39TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE BEAUMARIS CONSERVATION SOCIETY
HELD AT BEAUMARIS COMMUNITY CENTRE AT 8 PM. ON TUESDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER 1991
|Present: G. (Geoffrey) Goode, M. (Margaret) Goode, (Cr.) L. (Laurence) Bottomley, B. (Bea) Hosking, Anita Heughan, R. (Robert) Casamento, Jason Stewart, Janet Ablitt, Lisa Carty, Jill Rendell, M. (Mirini) Rendell, Larry Meucar, K. (Kenneth) Rendell. |
1. Apologies: Geoffrey Connard MLC, David Lea MLA, Michael Briggs (SCC. Engineer), Cr. John Moller, Anthony Reinhardt, Diana Speirs, K (Kay) & L. (Lindsay) Bunnett, R (Roy) & J. (June) Hardcastle.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the 38th Annual General Meeting confirmed – Rob Casamento Anita Heughan
3. President’s Report: G. Goode tabled his report and amplified our policy on street trees for Beaumaris, and the discussions held with S.C.C Parks and Conservation Department. The replacement of recent plantings of Tristanias, along Reserve Road and some side streets, remains a contentious issue even though the cost is about $1,000 in an annual budget of $17,000,000. During discussion it was resolved that Beaumaris Conservation Society write to S.C.C. offering assistance to replace the Tristanias with an indigenous or other suitable species, in two alternative ways:
1. B.C.S. volunteers assist S.C.C. staff during the week.
2. B.C.S. volunteers do all the work at weekends.
Before work is done, residents would need to be notified of the change and the reasons for it.
Report Accepted: L. Bottomley B. Hosking.
5. Election of Office Bearers: G. Goode asked L. Bottomley to conduct the elections.
President: R. Casamento Nominated by G. Goode, A. Heughan – Elected
V.President: D. Speirs ” G. Goode, M. Goode – Elected
Secretary: K. Rendell ” M. Goode, B. Hosking – Elected
Treasurer: M. Goode ” B. Hosking, R. Casamento – Elected
R. Casamento became Chairman and expressed appreciation of G. Goode’s role as President for many years.
6. Guest Speaker: Geoff Carr was introduced and gave an informative account of how weeds can destroy our indigenous vegetation. A summary of his talk is enclosed.
7. General Business: As no further items were raised, the meeting closed at 10.30 p.m.