Notable past residents of Beaumaris
Mr Ivor Evans, as a young man, was a co-designer of
the Australian Flag. He lived at ‘White Sails’, 480 Beach Road, (the house bounded by a red line in the aerial photograph shown here) between Banksia Street and Cromer Road, during the 1950s.
Mr John Iggulden, a novelist and Life Member of the Gliding
Federation of Australia, was an
industrialist, Australian National Gliding Champion in 1959, founding President of Port Phillip Conservation Council, and lived at 50 Wells Road in the 1960s and 1970s.
Mr William Iggulden MBE, brother of John Iggulden, was an industrial
designer and the longest-serving President of the Gliding Federation of Australia 1951-70, who lived at 2 Balcombe Park Lane, until his death in 1970.
Councillor Matthew Lang, Mayor of Melbourne 1889-92, a Member of the Legislative Council, and President of the Royal Caledonian Society, built the mansion known as The Point in 1890, on the site of what is now 405 Beach Road, Beaumaris. Its last occupier was Major Harry Shaw, and it was demolished in 1959.
Sir Rupert Stawell, a leading surgeon, after whom nearby Stawell Street is believed to have been named, lived at “Coronet Hill”, 10 Coronet Grove, during the late 19th Century. [That house is still intact, was on National Trust File No. B5551 when the Trust was registering houses of significance in Beaumaris, and later became the home of the first President of the Beaumaris Tree Preservation Society, Mrs Bea Hosking]
Sir Lawrence Wackett DFC AFC, commemorated by Wackett Street in his birthplace, Pallarenda, Queensland, and the first Duntroon graduate to join the Australian Flying Corps in World War I, made daring low level reconnaissance flights as far as 10 km behind Germany’s front line for aerial photographs, and pioneered precision aerial drops of ammunition to Allied ground troops.
Wackett retired from the RAAF as a Wing Commander in 1933. He then became a leading aircraft designer, and chief of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation, where his work led to his being knighted in 1954. He later became the second Commodore of the Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron. He lived at ‘Aanderzee’, 31 Tramway Parade, Beaumaris, at its junction with Sparks and Rennison Streets, from the 1930s to 1970.
Each of the two driveway gates still displays his crest of three clenched boomerangs with the motto “VICTORIA NON SINE ADVERSITE”, which means “Victory is not without adversity.”