The F L Yott Reserve
The F L Yott Reserve is a Bayside City Council reserve that covers the block of land bounded by Bodley Street, Tramway Parade, Martin Street and Dalgetty Road, Beaumaris, except for the westernmost seventh of that land the Anglican Church owns. It was named after Cr Frederick Louis Yott, a councillor of the former City of Sandringham from 1935 to 1950, and the Mayor for two of those fifteen years.
The Reserve’s Tramway Parade frontage was the site of the former Beaumaris Hall , which was the original building of the Beaumaris Primary School in 1915. During World War II, a public air raid shelter of roofed trenches was at the south-east corner, where tennis courts are now. The Reserve is zoned Public Park and Recreation under the Bayside Planning Scheme. It is not one of Bayside City Council’s BushlandReserves . None of it has a VPO2 Vegetation Protection Overlay, but it all has a VPO1 Vegetation Protection Overlay. The existing land uses, which cover nearly all of the Reserve , predated the Bayside Planning Scheme and include:
Beaumaris Maternal and Child Health Centre,
Olive Phillips Kindergarten;
Peter Hutchison Playground, named after a President of the former Parents and Citizens Association
Bodley Street Tennis Centre (6 en tous cas courts) and building;
Beaumaris Bowls Club, whose greens, club house, yard and two car parks occupy about half of the Reserve;
The hall and yard of the Beaumaris Girl Guides; and
The hall and yard of the First Beaumaris Sea Scouts.
General public access is restricted to a small playground, the three car parks, a sealed north-south laneway in line with Haldane Street, a 10-metre wide strip of bushland on the western edge of that laneway, and some small areas of land that are not yet fenced off from the public.
The surface of the sealed laneway is extremely degraded. Using so much of the land area of the reserve for an unnecessary black bitumen laneway seems undesirable. A better use, and one that is possibly less expensive than resurfacing the unsightly laneway, would be to replace it with a buffer area from the Bowls Club consisting of a mown grass walkway, with vehicle access only for emergencies, alongside a strip of land added to the eastern edge of the bushland area to make that bushland strip more viable.
This contains the only Manna Gums (Eucalyptus pryoriana) left on the Reserve. Two are large and healthy, but one is mostly dead. There is also a Sweet Bursaria (Bursaria spinosa) and several Acacias (probably Acacia implexa). The remaining bushland is Coast Tea Tree (Leptospermum laevigatum) and Seaberry Saltbush (Rhagodia baccata).
The northernmost two-thirds of the above 10-metre wide north-south strip of land is nearly all indigenous bushland, but it is not well cared for. The southernmost third of the strip is mostly mown grass. In addition to mounds of soil that children building bicycle riding humps alongside the eastern fence of the Guides and Scouts lease have created, piles of lawn clippings have been illegally dumped next to the Sea Scouts’ lawn, and rank grass has been allowed to invade the bushland strip. A fine Manna Gum on the Sea Scouts’ lawn died early this century, but it seems no effort has been made to replace it.
Most trees on the rest of the Reserve are native trees, but few are indigenous. Two coastal tea trees, just south of the Bowls Club house, appear on the Register of Significant Trees of the National Trust of Australia. There are also Coastal Tea Trees and a fine Drooping She oak (Allocasuarina verticillata) just south of the Guide hall.